If you’re still looking for a New Year’s resolution, it’s not too late to join the Stop.Think.Connect.™ Campaign in setting online safety resolutions for 2012.
Follow these simple steps from the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to enhance increase your devices’ cybersecurity:
- Adjust your privacy and security settings to make sure that sites are not collecting personal information about you without your knowledge.
- Once you have installed an anti-virus package, manually scan files you receive from an outside source on a daily basis before opening them directly from the source.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post online, especially in public forums.
- Beware of grand promises—they are most likely spam, hoaxes, or phishing schemes. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Update and create strong passwords on a monthly basis.